Arthur Avenue
Monday, April 26, 2010 2:05 PM
I went to Arthur Avenue
The market place
a comfortable retreat
from the city's colder places
I can hear broken Italian
mixed with broken English
My grandfather buys green olives
and it makes me feel at home
CAFE 'AL MERCATO'S
has real chicken parm
I sat down with my grandfather
and we talked about life
I don't know how long I will have with him
82 years old and still as strong as a bull
The wisest man I've ever known
Will the world be as full of life after he is gone?
I miss him, I barely get to see him anymore
But sitting here at a table
in the marketplace is charming
and it makes me feel at home
He's worried about me
And there's no reason not to be
Everyday I get to see myself
inside a different stranger
Then we traveled
two blocks the way
to EGIDIO'S for coffee gelato
that tastes of real Italian espresso
I looked at my napkin
and saw the water that had
traveled down and pooled
from the plastic cup
I was being nourished from
and it made sense
when so little in this world
made sense anymore
When we were done
we got back into the car
and drove away
The market place
a comfortable retreat
from the city's colder places
I can hear broken Italian
mixed with broken English
My grandfather buys green olives
and it makes me feel at home
CAFE 'AL MERCATO'S
has real chicken parm
I sat down with my grandfather
and we talked about life
I don't know how long I will have with him
82 years old and still as strong as a bull
The wisest man I've ever known
Will the world be as full of life after he is gone?
I miss him, I barely get to see him anymore
But sitting here at a table
in the marketplace is charming
and it makes me feel at home
He's worried about me
And there's no reason not to be
Everyday I get to see myself
inside a different stranger
Then we traveled
two blocks the way
to EGIDIO'S for coffee gelato
that tastes of real Italian espresso
I looked at my napkin
and saw the water that had
traveled down and pooled
from the plastic cup
I was being nourished from
and it made sense
when so little in this world
made sense anymore
When we were done
we got back into the car
and drove away